Home | Collections | Projects | Contact Us | Links

Jump to:

Buffalo Regional History Collection

Buffalo Vertical Files

Civil War

Mutlimedia

Churches

Faculty + Student Papers

Magazines + Publications


Organizations

People

Miscellaneous

Zion Lutheran Church

 

 

Zion Lutheran Church

Zion Lutheran Church of Niagara Falls
1010 Michigan Avenue
Niagara Falls, NY 14305

 

One of the most beautiful and imposing houses of worship in Niagara Falls is the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church on Michigan Avenue at 10th Street. This church is not only one of the largest and most profilic in the city of the thundering Falls of Niagara but also one of the oldest. The congregation celebrated its golden jubilee in 1907.

The founder of the congregation was Pastor Johannes Althaus, who came to Niagara Falls in 1854 and held German services every second Sunday in the public schoolhouse at the corner of what is now 11th Street and Ontario Avenue. In 1856 the first steps to establish a church were taken and in the same year the building of the church began. One of the members, Mr. Christian Fink, undertook to build the church for $999.99. One man donated the lumber and another the stone. Full of courage and trust in God all members helped and in the autumn the little church was completed. All knew it was a primitive structure but the congregation was happy with their ownership of a house of worship.
As the congregation grew it became necessary to build a larger church. The church property at Michigan and 10th Street includes several community rooms, a gym and church offices as well as the massive church which is decorated with intricate hand carvings. Membership at Zion Lutheran had dwindled to about 150 members from over 1,000 when the church was thriving in the 1950s.  Zion Lutheran has also absorbed the former Bethany Lutheran Church located on Hyde Park and members from the First Presbyterian Church in Lewiston.

The Monroe Fordham Regional History Center maintains a collection of the ledgers and, and registers of Zion Lutheran Church. The records were scanned into digital format with the work of MFRHC and are available for the public's use.

Click here for an index of the Zion Lutheran Church Collection.

Ledgers:

Congregation Record 1857-1874

Congregation Record 1875-1931

Congregation Activity Record 1953-1999

Parish Register 1931-1955

Parish Register 1955-1999

Parish Register 2000-

Meeting Minutes in German 1899

German Record Book 1909

Martha Society Minutes 1915-1936

Ladies Aid Membership 1912-1913; 1927-1928

 

Visit us in Classroom Building C222

Home | Collections | Projects | Contact Us | Links