< Ripley Memorial United Methodist Church

Home | Collections | Projects | Contact Us | Links

Jump to:

Buffalo Regional History Collection

Buffalo Vertical Files

Civil War

Mutlimedia

Churches

Faculty + Student Papers

Magazines + Publications


Organizations

People

Miscellaneous

Ripley Memorial United Methodist Church

Ripley Memorial United Methodist Church

Over the past hundred and twenty-eight years, congregations have changed; the world has transformed. From 1870 to 1960, the Ripley Church grew to 250 families. As the City of Buffalo grew, so did the appeal of Ripley Memorial. Peoples resettling from areas outside of the city, found a cultural, economical, and religious sanctuary within the neighborhood limits of Ripley. The Ripley Memorial United Methodist Church is a result of the merger of two Methodist Episcopal Churches. One was a German Methodist Episcopal Church on East Street. The other was a Methodist Episcopal Church at Farmer and Thompson Streets. The East Street Methodist Episcopal began with the founding of a Sunday School in 1852. The German Methodist Episcopal Church was a Mission Church of the Mortimer Street Methodist Episcopal Church. 

Starting out as a mission Sunday School program. Ripley Memorial United Methodist Church was first located at 322 Dearborn Street on a lot and building given by Dr. A.P. Ripley on November 16th, 1887. In 1891, the chapel of Ripley Church was moved to the comer of Farmer and Thompson Streets. On January J, 1939, the Church merged with East Street Methodist Church at 221 East. The present parsonage was built in 1913 at 225 East Street. On June 25,1950, work began on a remodeling project for a new church school unit, improvement of Church and parsonage. On October 19,1952. these improvements were dedicated at the morning worship service.

Click here for an index of the microfilmed records.

Visit us in Classroom Building C222.


Home | Collections | Projects | Contact Us | Links